Saturday, July 9, 2011

Do you all think the US Constitution is meant to be a static document, or one that should be constantly changing?

Do you all think the US Constitution is meant to be a static document, or one that should be constantly changing?

The question you ask is a great one, and one that often comes up in politics. I believe the Constitution is a masterful piece of intellectual accomplishment written in an age of Enlightenment by men who beat all odds and defeated the indefatigable British Empire while championing the idea of Liberty and Freedom. I believe the Constitution should retain all existing laws but may be amended to add new laws which do not counter any existing laws which are decided by Congress through the methods described by the Constitution.

Presently, I believe executive orders have become all too common, and the Constitution is being abused constantly. Wars these days are not declared or approved by Congress, something required by the Constitution. Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 gives congress the exclusive authority to wage war. However, the Executive branch has been going off UN resolutions instead, a slap in the face to the forefathers and something that has already cost the nation trillions of dollars and countless lives. I will not debate whether or not these wars should have been made here, I will simply challenge the notion that such wars are legal under the Constitution.

Unless there is something drastic that requires an amendment to the Constitution, I would say leave it be and defend it. New citizens must pledge to defend the Constitution:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Reference:

"Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America." USCIS Home Page. Web. 08 July 2011. <http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=facd6db8d7e37210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=dd7ffe9dd4aa3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD>.

No comments:

Post a Comment